Breast implants are one of the most common plastic surgery procedures done each year. Having the ability to change and potentially improve the size, shape, firmness, and volume of your breasts can be empowering. However, implants do not last forever. While they are long-lasting with a lifetime of 10-15 years, they usually need to be exchanged. Or, sometimes, women decide to exchange their implants for cosmetic reasons. Talk to Dr. Carpenter at Allegany Plastic Surgery about your implant exchange options.
What Is Breast Implant Exchange Surgery?
An implant exchange procedure is when a woman has her current breast implants removed and replaced. This procedure may be done electively, or it may be due to possible complications or issues with the current implants.
In some cases, breast implant exchange surgery is combined with breast lift surgery. If there is excess skin or sagging and drooping of the breasts, a breast lift may be a great complementary option. Your medical care provider will assess your situation and decide if this option is right for you.
Why Is Breast Implant Exchange Done?
Some reasons you may get implant exchange surgery include:
- Wanting to change the size, either going bigger or smaller
- Changing of the breasts over time
- Changing from saline to silicone implants or vice versa
- Changing from smooth to textured implants or vice versa
There are medically necessary reasons to get this surgery, also. These reasons can include:
- Capsular contracture
- Implant rupture
- Implant shifting out of place
No matter what the reason is that leads to this surgery, it can help you look and feel better. You can get or maintain the size, shape, and look you desire. You can also eliminate any pain or complications that may have popped up.
Breast implants don’t need to be exchanged on a timeline, such as every decade. It’s very individual how long they last. If you want or need to change your implants, you have the choice available.
What Is A Consultation Like?
When you want or need a breast implant exchange, the next step is to talk to a qualified surgeon such as Dr. Carpenter. Make a consultation at Allegany Platic Surgery to get started. There are a few things that you can expect to happen in the consultation:
1. Your surgeon will want to see the information on your original surgery and implants to gauge how to move forward.
2. Your surgeon will ask you what you dislike about the look and/or feel of your breasts and your goals for the procedure.
3. Your surgeon will do a physical exam which will include taking relevant measurements they need to proceed.
4. Your surgeon will work together with you to find an implant that is the correct size, shape, and type to most closely give you your ideal results,
If you feel like you are ready to get breast implant exchange surgery, call the staff at Allegany Plastic Surgery today to book a consultation.